Sunday, November 23, 2008

NYC MARATHON PHOTO OVERLOAD

My fellow marathoners know how important it is to set out your gear the night before the race. Knowing I have everything I need helps me get pumped for the race.  I love the pre-race inventory!


Me with the folks on Staten Island before the race.  We were on the island for 3 hours in the ridiculous cold before the starting gun went off.  It takes a lot of time to get 38,000 runners corralled into their starting gates on time, so I understand, but THREE HOURS!?!  This was not necessarily my most favorite part of the race... more about this later.


Largest gathering of runners in the world = world's largest gathering of port-a-john's.  


Just after the start on the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge from Staten Island to Brooklyn.  



There were helicopters, coast guard boats, fire engines, etc. etc. etc. cheering us on as we began the race.  Oh yeah, we're pretty much a big deal. 



A sea of runners merged at about mile 8.



I heart Brooklyn! Running through this borough was pretty much a huge party. There were bands, a gospel choir, dancers, cheerleaders, and thousands of screaming supporters.



Brooklyn also brought us "Larry the Lighthouse."  I said to my mom, "I'll be damned if I get beat by a guy in a lighthouse!" No worries, Larry ate my dust.



All kinds of people set a goal to run a marathon, no matter what their physical 'limitations' may be.  NYC was definitely no exception.  People like this guy are my inspiration and a reminder that there is no excuse for putting off my goals.



Manhattan!!!  This is on the bridge going from Brooklyn to Queens (just past the 1/2 way point).




Before the race I read an article in Runners World about 81 year old Stanley Rygor and his cute wife Kathleen who have been giving runners a much needed boost with their accordion folk songs since 1985. Of course I had to get a picture with them! This race is loaded with wonderful characters like the Rygor's.





This is coming out of Queens into Manhattan... my back started to spaz out (standing in the cold on Staten Island for THREE HOURS = back problems for Katie), but the roar of the HUGE crowd gave me enough of a boost to make it to a first aid station...



Where there just happened to be a chiropractor!


These guys saved the marathon for me. I wish I could find a way to thank my miracle workers. There is no way I could have finished the race without their help. Thanks guys!


Running into Central Park was a true religious experience... a running revival!  Hallelujah!  


I don't think there was any other way I could have finished this race... I got the most amazing surge of energy when I saw the finish line.  It was a truly indescribable moment.  



I am glad to have run 6 marathons in one year, but it's not something I plan on doing again anytime soon.  I'll likely run 2 big races next year (St. George and ?), but might also try a mini-triathlon.  Any suggestions?



There really isn't anything quite like hugging your husband after thinking about him for 26.2 miles.  I am a ridiculously lucky woman to have such a supportive man.

The 3 amigos have done it again!  A huge thank you to my Mom and Dad for spending a wonderfully unforgettable weekend in NYC with us!

14 comments:

Mary Staples said...

Okay...I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your finishing line pic. That's classic.

Karly Barker said...

I second marys comment!

Larry & Ann said...

Your pictures took me right back to the moment, or should I say moments. So many! Thank heavens for your first aid angels! I wasn't sure if you would make it at that point. You are a real trooper and a NYC MARATHON FINISHER! Great job in '08 to reach your 6 marathon goals! And... you finished in true Katie style!

Sheron said...

Your finishing photo needs to be framed! Thanks for sharing the photos and dialogue about your great event! Congratulations!

Jim and Amy said...

Oh my gosh Katie! My legs hurt just sitting here!! Congrats on all SIX of your marathons this year. It figures you would go to one of the cultural centers of the world and then decide, "I think I'll run 26 miles!!" I love the lat photo where you're jumping in the air over the finish line!

A & E said...

ok girl, let's make a goal that we run the boston together someday. i just need to NOT be pregnant and we shall! so happy you got to run the nyc. it looked amazing.

kourtney said...

Way to go. You are too impressive. As for triathalons...I have some neighbors that are really into the one up at Bear Lake.

kourtney said...

Oh and I don't think there's any better way to finish the race. Was that the pic all over the NYC newspapers? It should have been.

Marcie said...

Katie, I am so glad you found my blog and thanks for the congrats! Oh I am so so jealous of your new york marathon experience. I so am going to get there to run one day. Looking at your pic's makes me just want to do it so bad. Awesome. Lets keep in touch!

Megan Andersen said...

WOW!!! I am truly inspired, & now want to do that marathon more then ever!! You are awesome! I love all the pictures of the journey...especially the finish line one! Thank you for brightening my day!!

Christina P. said...

Hey Katie! This is Christina (Griffith)!! I have always said that there is no way I would ever do a marathon, but you made it look so easy!! I love that you took pictures at the same time as running 26 miles!! How in the world did you jump in the air at the finish line. I would have to crawl past the finish line!! You look fabulous and congrats on the wedding!!

KT Bundy said...

I'm jealous you got to go run that marathon. Some day I'll go run it with ya again. Loved the photo finish.

Kris &Tiersa LeSueur said...

Katie WOW is all I can say. Six marathons in one year is insane!! I ran St. George this year and it was great. Have done a few halves and am looking for another full to do before next St. George. Any suggestions? email me at tiersa23@hotmail.com

Petty Party Page said...

dear coach K...first, let me say your blog is freaking awesome...I am seriously honored that we are included and also impressed that you are so very organized....it's been a while since I've been on! second, thanks for being the BEST COACH K EVER EVER to Josh- race day is tomorrow and he is excited!