Sunday, October 4, 2009

St. George Marathon Weekend 2009

This was my 6th St. George, my 11th overall, and my 2nd or 3rd hardest marathon to finish.  I didn't train as well as I would have liked (again), and ended up with pretty sore left achilles.  I'm guessing it was from running with bad form as I leaned into the strong headwind during the uphill sections of the course.  I ended up walking the last 6 miles.  :$  At least it was a gorgeous day!

Look at that sunny St. George sky!
I promised Scott I would walk if anything hurt at all during the race.  I need to be ready to backpack around Europe next week!  EUROPE!  Hooray!  We are SO excited!  Hope my achilles feels better by then.  Oh dear.


I just about stepped on this little friend.  I figured as long as I was walking, I might as well enjoy the scenery.  I'm pretty sure people thought I was nuts to stop in the middle of a marathon to take a picture of a huge spider in the road.  Now that I've typed that out, I realize it was a pretty weird thing to do.  Oh well, it seemed like a really great idea a the time.  I love bizarre desert critters.


I seem to meet up with our dear family friend Kathy Wilson at the same spot on the course ever year, and every year we both seem to be having a hard time at that spot.  Coincidence?  Maybe.  I think it's probably one of the Lord's tender mercies.  We have pulled each other through some pretty tough spots, this year was no exception.  I think this was Kathy's 40th or 50th marathon.  Who knows!  This lady can run!
Dear Kathy, see you between miles 19 and 20 next time!



I love seeing Scott at the finish line.  I keep thinking we'll get him out on the course one of these days...


This was my Dad's 10th St. George and 28th marathon!  Way to go Dad!  BTW, we totally didn't plan to be blue shirt, black shorts, white hats twinners... that just happened!  Great minds think alike!  I love running with my Dad.


Me, my Dad, and my cousin Melissa



My Dad and Kevin Tipton at the 10 Year Club banquet.  I'll get there eventually.



The next day we got to spend some quality time in the dental office.  My Dad had Scott make an adjustment to a tooth, and my Mom had my Dad clean up an abscessed tooth for her.  Family fun!  A big thanks to Laura-Lee for coming in to assist last minute.  

Now Larry has had his daughter and two of his sons-in-law work on his teeth (don't worry, they're all dentists).  Good times with the Staples family.

We polished off the weekend laying around, watching General Conference, and eating great food.

This picture says it all.  Nothing like laying on the floor with your dog on a lazy Sunday afternoon.  Thanks again to my Mom and Dad for a great weekend.

No comments: