First, a little background:
Henry was looking a little jaundiced the day we were released from the hospital, so our pediatrician wanted to see him for an office visit 2 days later.
At that appointment our little guy's jaundice was mostly gone (yay! No heel prick!), but the scale showed that Hank had lost about 11% of his birthweight. Docs don't like to see a baby lose more than 10%, so our doc wanted us to try a new feeding schedule and come back to hit the scales again in a couple of days. He said if that didn't work we would want to look at supplementing with formula.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm glad formula exists... but I have been determined to avoid it at all costs. I don't want to mess with what I think of as a 'Bluetooth sync' between me and my boy. It's amazing... we can be on opposite sides of the house, but I can feel exactly when it's time for him to eat. It's like magic! I absolutely do not take that for granted. Nor do I take for granted that, in textbook fashion, my milk came in beautifully on day 5. Plus, Henry has been a pretty good nurser since the minute he was born (he nursed for 45 minutes right after they placed him on my chest!)
Needless to say, the Mama Bear in me came right out and I took on the challenge of getting my baby fattened up with nothing but MY milk.
2 hurdles in the "make Henry fat" challenge:
(1) Our little dude was seriously tongue tied. He was able to latch, but we noticed he had to readjust every 20-30 seconds. Also, he didn't seem to be drawing very deep with each suck.
2 solutions:
(1) An ENT clipped Henry's tongue (a frenotomy). Henry didn't even cry! My boy is a warrior!
(2) Scott, my Mom, and I woke our peacefully sleeping infant every TWO hours to eat.
The results:
Wednesday's weigh in showed he had gained TWELVE ounces in TWO days!
We decided for the sake of sanity we would cut back on the every two hours schedule so we could actually get some sleep.
We were pretty curious to find out what the new feeding schedule and tongue clip would show at his 2 week appointment.
Drumroll...
8 lbs, 2.5 oz!!! (He was 7lbs, 10 oz at birth)
21.5" long
14.25" head circumference
Way to go buddy!
The Dr. said our baby looks great!
I'm sure exclusive breastfeeding will bring more challenges and a few frustrations, but I am totally committed to make sure my son gets the best possible source of nutrition. Here's hoping we continue to have a beautiful breastfeeding experience!
(1) Our little dude was seriously tongue tied. He was able to latch, but we noticed he had to readjust every 20-30 seconds. Also, he didn't seem to be drawing very deep with each suck.
See how his tongue is forked... that's b/c his lingual frenulum pulled the tip of his tongue back whenever he tried to stick it out. Bless him!
(2) Jaundice makes babies super tired.2 solutions:
(1) An ENT clipped Henry's tongue (a frenotomy). Henry didn't even cry! My boy is a warrior!
(2) Scott, my Mom, and I woke our peacefully sleeping infant every TWO hours to eat.
The results:
Wednesday's weigh in showed he had gained TWELVE ounces in TWO days!
We decided for the sake of sanity we would cut back on the every two hours schedule so we could actually get some sleep.
We were pretty curious to find out what the new feeding schedule and tongue clip would show at his 2 week appointment.
Drumroll...
8 lbs, 2.5 oz!!! (He was 7lbs, 10 oz at birth)
21.5" long
14.25" head circumference
Way to go buddy!
The Dr. said our baby looks great!
I'm sure exclusive breastfeeding will bring more challenges and a few frustrations, but I am totally committed to make sure my son gets the best possible source of nutrition. Here's hoping we continue to have a beautiful breastfeeding experience!

7 comments:
he is sooooo cute Katie.
nothing really compares to the time spent snuggling a babe while they nurse....I too love it so.
I really liked this post. I was intrigued until the end. Congratulations on having a successful breast feeding journey. May it continue to work out.
I love your baby! He is way too cute for his own good. Good luck with that! ;) Adam was tongue tied, and also had to have the clip, but I was not so lucky with the "no crying" thing. Casey had to hold him down, and I sat in the corner and laughed (Because I did not know how else to react.) Casey was mad at me for laughing while Adam screamed bloody murder. Sad day, but it was MUCH better after the clip. I can't wait for you guys to get here, and to get my hands on sweet baby Hank!!! Hurry up!
I knew you would be the best Momma! Way to go. He is so adorable!!
He is a warrior but so are you! So proud of you!!!
You are doing a great job Katie! Keep it up! I'll never forget our phone alarms going off every 2 hours for those 2 dizzy days! But oh so worth it!
If you can breastfeed than I call YOU the warrior! Way to go.
Post a Comment