Thursday, February 3, 2011

first visit to our new pediatrician

Poor Henry has a little umbilical granuloma in his belly button.  Henry's first doc said those aren't serious and told us we could wait to take care of it until we moved and found a new doc in Colorado.  BTW, we were pretty sad to have to find a new doc for Henry because we really liked our clinic and pediatrician in Utah.  A big thanks to our friend Jill who told us about the fabulous clinic she took her kids to when they lived in our neck of the woods.  We have loved our experience there so far and really like Henry's new doc.  
We were super lucky to have Nana with us during our first visit.  She did a fantastic job soothing Henry while I filled out a big huge stack of new patient paperwork.  
Sadly, the visit started out all wrong for Henry.  We woke him up from a peaceful sleep while we were undressing him to be weighed which made him a pretty cranky.  The poor kiddo started crying when we put him on the scale, then screamed at us when the nurse stuck a thermometer where the sun doesn't shine.  I can't blame him, I would probably yell pretty loud if someone surprised me like that.  Thank heavens for Nana, she rescued him from the scale and wiped away his cute little tears.  Then she held a pacifier in his mouth (he hasn't decided whether or not he likes pacifiers) while the doc fixed his belly button and I snapped a quick pic and continued to fill out the mountain of paperwork.
I was so fascinated by the way to treat an umbilical granuloma.  The doc simply rubs it with a stick of silver nitrate, which instantly turns a bright red granuloma into a charcoal black scab.  Science is so cool!
We get to go back to the doc next week for Henry's 2 month checkup and to have another round of silver nitrate (which will hopefully take care of the granuloma for good).  Wish us luck, we won't have Nana or Daddy with us to help out.  Oh dear.

1 comment:

Larry & Ann said...

I feel so lucky to have been there for this dr visit. Or should Henry & his mommy felt lucky that I was there? ha ha I think those were his first tears, weren't they? I was happy to wipe them with my cheeks when I held his cute little sad face to mine to sooth his crying. You were great holding it together as a first time mom!