Henry has hated tummy time from day one. As a result he started to roll from his front to his side at 2 weeks old (on Christmas Eve). A few weeks later he rolled onto his back. Since then he hasn't consistently been able to roll all the way over... until tonight. He did it two times in a row, crying and yelling at me both times. That boy really doesn't like tummy time. I've tried all of the tricks I can think of to distract him, but I can only get him to last about 5 minutes before he at least rolls onto his side. Nevertheless, we'll keep at it. I'm sure we'll find something that works for him. If not, at least he'll get really good at rolling over!
Tonight I only had my phone within arms reach when he started rolling, so I only got a few crummy pictures. At least I was able to get some kind of documentation. Scott and I are going to try to get some video footage of our boy in action over the weekend.
This was the first pic I was able to get of Henry after he had rolled onto his side. He was just over a month old and rolled all the way over later that same day. Of course I didn't have any kind of camera nearby when he made his move. How do babies know it's time to do their coolest tricks when the cameras are far far away?
Anyhow
back to tonight's feat of strength: The following sequence of pictures was taken in ~ 30 seconds.
He started getting fussy after the usual 5 minutes on his tummy. BTW, the little plastic flower deal in the corner of the pictures is a wonderful hand-me-down from cousin Ryan. It lights up, plays music, and is the only reason tummy time lasts more than a few seconds. Thanks Ryan!
First he started kicking and arching his back.
Then he moved his arms into position
and made it to his side in about 5 seconds.
Then he arched his back and kicked his legs
and arched his back some more
and kicked his legs even harder
and yelled at Mom for not rescuing him. Mom felt terrible, yet proud all at the same time. Motherhood is full of all kinds of strange emotional combinations.
He got his arm in a better position to push himself all the way over.
So close, yet so far away.
More yelling at Mom.
Then, finally, one last kick and...
Success! But still mad as a hornet. Oh well, we'll keep trying.














4 comments:
Henry is a strong and determined boy!
Thank you to let us be a part of your family.
Our love out of Switzerland
lil james rolled right off the couch one time while i was making dinner....not expected at all, so thank goodness i was right there ;) henry looks so cute and tiny...and
talented.ha
Mom, I have a feeling Henry's determination will be payback for what I was like as your baby.
Mares, thank YOU for letting US be a part of YOUR family! We love you guys!
Janae, oh man! I totally dread the day Henry rolls off the couch or bed. I'm pretty sure it happens to everyone and 99.9% of the time the kid is just fine... but still, the idea terrifies me.
Post a Comment