GOOD THING #13
The cartoons and toys from the 80's have been repackaged and are now cool again, giving my generation the ability to vicariously enjoy a second childhood through the kids in our lives. Yes... wink, wink... 'vicariously'...
My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles -and several others I can't think of right now- have made a big comeback. I wonder if Strawberry Shortcake still reeks of plasticy strawberries?
For the record: Legos (my favorite toy of all time) have never been unpopular and have therefore never needed a 'comeback'. Just sayin'.
As mentioned a couple of posts ago, turning 30 means it really is time to be honest with oneself. I'll unabashedly admit I'm STOKED that motherhood provides me with the opportunity to play with Legos, Crayola, Play Doh, and other cool toys again!
Continuing on with the song of the year:
The number one song of 1993 was 'I'd Do Anything For Love, But I Won't Do That' by Meatloaf. Epic. So so epic.


3 comments:
I love these posts Katie! And yes, the new strawberry shortcake does smell like strawberries. Even inside the DVD cases!
You forgot two major items from your childhood... Cabbage Patch dolls and the He Man characters. Your 2 year old self had no idea that the CP dolls were the rage. It was a war zone in the toy stores to get one in time for Christmas that year. I was victorious and so excited to see your happy little face on the big reveal. Much to my surprise my sweet little girl could have cared less. You were more interested other things... which gave your Dad and grandparents a lot to laugh about that day. Same scenario on your 3rd birthday, or was it your 4th? The He Man Battle Cat was the top present of the day from your cousin Ryan. You could have cared less what your family and friends gave you after you opened that! Again... more laughter. Oh Katie... you were always your own person from the start. Dad and I loved every minute of it! You were a blast as a child, and still are!
PS Please promise that you will have Henry watch lots of Mister Rogers and Sesame Street growing up. It is essential in the book of parenting! Such fond memories...
Adrianne, thanks for the heads up on the Strawberry Shortcake aroma, I can't believe they made the DVD cases scented. I still remember that smell... not quite offensive, but not that great either. Glad you like the posts, they're helping me cope with this milestone birthday. Can you believe we're turning 30!?!
Mom, I love the home movie we have of me during the 'Cabbage Patch Kid' Christmas. Priceless! I think we also have video of the Battle Cat birthday... but I actually remember that one. I was pretty jazzed about that cat. What a funny kid, thanks for putting up with me ;)
Like Legos, Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers have never gone out of style... you bet my kiddos will watch those classics!
Post a Comment