Note: I am not very good at ANY of the above pictured items. Cooking is the only domestic skill I have mastered thus far. I certainly have my work cut out for me if I aspire to be like illustrated vintage housewife!
Today is my first official day as a Stay At Home Mom. Wait. What!?! I'm still trying to wrap my head around having a huge pregnant belly. Only 45 days until Baby Boy... give or take a week or two.
I'm really excited to be able to tackle my mile-long to do list and unleash the crazy nesting instinct I've been suppressing for the past few weeks (I want to throw EVERYTHING away!)
BUT
I am feeling a little out of sorts since Scott left for work a few hours ago. I'm sure it will really hit me later in the week that I'm done with the corporate world for a while. I'll still do a little freelance design work from home, but I probably won't see the 9-5, M-F office world until our kids are all in school full time.
There are a lot of things I'm going to miss about working
BUT
BUT
I am REALLY going to enjoy taking a nap this afternoon. 33.5 weeks pregnant = SLEEPY Katie!
I feel incredibly lucky that Scott and I have the choice available for one of us to stay home with our kids. And, I love that I'm going to be able to take some time to prepare for motherhood.
BUT
The bigger part of me knows staying home with the kids full time is the best thing for our family right now.
I had a great conversation with my sister in law Kristi about the mild identity crisis one undergoes when making a big move like this. She gave me some fabulous words of wisdom that her mother in law gave to her:
You can have everything you want out of life... you just might not be able to have all of it all at once.
Agreed.
I can't say what my mindset will be in 5-10 years when we start sending kiddos to school. Chances are I will rejoin the workforce in some form at some point.
Until then, I am going to enjoy every minute of my new FULL TIME job as a SAHM.
BUT
There is a small part of me that says, "Hey! I have a degree and promising career... I don't have to stay home. I can bring home the bacon AND fry it up in a pan!"BUT
The bigger part of me knows staying home with the kids full time is the best thing for our family right now.
I had a great conversation with my sister in law Kristi about the mild identity crisis one undergoes when making a big move like this. She gave me some fabulous words of wisdom that her mother in law gave to her:
You can have everything you want out of life... you just might not be able to have all of it all at once.
Agreed.
I can't say what my mindset will be in 5-10 years when we start sending kiddos to school. Chances are I will rejoin the workforce in some form at some point.
Until then, I am going to enjoy every minute of my new FULL TIME job as a SAHM.


2 comments:
Pull up your bootstraps and eat your Wheaties cause this is the hardest (but most rewarding) job you will ever do in your life. You will never regret this decision. Welcome to the ranks!
Wonderful, sweet Katie!!! How fun for you to have all this time to 'prepare' and rest before Henry arrives. I have heard that it is a HUGE transition once you have been in the workforce for a long time - but once you see that little man you will just be in heaven. And, your Mom is right - it is one of the HARDEST jobs you will ever have. Because they have eternal consequences. HA! No worries!
I am SOOOO excited for you and Scott! You are so fantastic and will be wonderful parents!!! Lucky Henry!
...I sent you another blog invite - but have TWO email addresses for you. Hope one reached you..
Post a Comment