Thursday, February 3, 2011

Rocky Mountain High



We finally have internet (hooray!) and I’m writing this from our new home in COLORADO!  
A really great business opportunity showed up shortly before Henry was born and we decided to go for it.  We thought, ‘why not have a baby, buy a dental practice, and move 500 miles away in a 2 month timeframe... in the middle of winter?’  Good times. 
 Despite the craziness of our move, thus far it looks like we have made a very good decision.  We’re excited to start a new adventure in the Colorado Front Range.  On the other hand, we’re so incredibly sad to leave the people and places we love along the Wasatch Front.   


For journaling purposes: (that is to say, this will probably be long.)

Aunt Karly came to visit a few days before the move while she was waiting for James' flight to get in.  

Uncle Derek and Aunt Mary, a few friends, and my cousin Adrianne also came to visit (and brought us food!), but I totally forgot to take a picture of them with Henry.  BUMMER!  I was just so tired that I completely forgot.  :(  Oh well, we'll just have to remember to take pics with those folks when we go back to SLC for a visit.

We put off packing until the last possible minute (I absolutely HATE moving).  We hired movers to load the gargantuan U-haul we rented (Hiring pros to load and unload the truck was the best idea of all time) and didn’t finish packing the last of the boxes until shortly after the movers had loaded the big truck and left.
I have to give a shout-out to my incredible husband.  Thanks to a nasty case of mastitis I was pretty much useless for the move.  Scott basically did all the work to get us on our way.  LOVE him!
Henry must have known we needed him to chill out the night before/day of the move because he slept the most he’s ever slept in his entire 7 weeks of life.  Thanks buddy!  I don’t know what we did to deserve such a good baby.





Scott and Henry had a little nap together after the movers left

I have a little tradition of leaving my mark in a place that I've lived for more than a few months.  Don't worry, it's always in a place that nobody sees.  This was on the underside of the bottom shelf of a closet. It was so hard to get under there and write (look how messy it is!  I couldn't see what I was writing) that I'd be shocked if anyone ever found it. 

By 6pm (our goal!) our house was empty (sad), Scott’s car was loaded on the trailer behind the moving truck, and we were on the road to Scott’s parent’s place. 


 We ate a delicious dinner with Scott’s folks and made a quick trip to Provo to meet Sunny and Justin’s beautiful baby girl (Henry’s future wife, BTW) and say adios to Karly and James.  (super sad) 


A little video clip of Baby Hank and Baby Jade's first meeting outside the womb.

We woke up the next morning to a cold, thick fog.  It was as if the Salt Lake Valley had turned its back to us in protest of our exodus, shrouding itself in inversion.  We said a slightly teary goodbye to Scott’s parents and drove off in our respective vehicles in our respective directions.  
I miss the days when all of my stuff could be moved in a couple of car loads. -sigh!-






Henry and I headed west in our Honda to pick Nana up from the airport while Scott made his way east towards I-80 in the ginormous, lumbering moving truck/Toyota on a trailer.  That big rig seriously maxed out at 60mph.  We figured we would be in a “tortoise and the hair” situation, except, in our case, we hoped the hare would eventually catch up to the tortoise.


BTW, Henry has the best Grandmas!  Scott’s Mom was a champ for helping us pack up our house the week before we moved and my Mom was a champ for giving us a week of her time to drive with Henry and me and help us set up our new house.  I don’t know what we would do without those lovely ladies.
Henry was giving Grandma T some pretty big smiles the night we stayed at their house.


Henry had a 2 hour nap in Nana's lap, giving us a chance to tell the movers where we wanted them to put all of our stuff.

Scott and his tortoise truck plugged along, averaging about 50mph and making only one or two stops.  Nana, Henry, and I blazed up the freeway in our hare-mobile averaging about 80mph and making about a million stops along the way.  We finally caught up with each other in Cheyenne for a little dinner.  TWELVE hours after leaving SLC we arrived in our new hometown, yelling/singing along to ‘Rocky Mountain High’.

Henry was cooing and smiling and wiggling and being absolutely adorable when we got to the hotel, so my mom shot this quick video on her phone.  I'm pretty sure this kid is getting cuter by the hour.

Thanks to Scott and my Mom our house is mostly unpacked and set up (still a few odds and ends to sort through).  Our little place is starting to feel like home.  I think it will take a few weeks for me to realize that this is not just a road trip or vacation… that we actually live in a new state and are likely here to stay for DECADES.  Wild.
Scott is currently enjoying getting everything set up for his first week at HIS new office.  I'm so excited for him!  I hope to be able to get out of the house and explore our new hometown as soon as the weather is more baby friendly.  BTW, we live really close to Rocky Mountain National Park and have an extra queen bed and air mattress.  Plus, once I get to know an area, I'm a really great tour guide.  Feel free to pay us a visit anytime!

2 comments:

shayna said...

What the what? You moved? To Colorado? For DECADES? All of this information came as such a surprise. Can you send me your address? Can you teach me how to be an adult like you? I'm jealous that you and Sunny have babies that are going to get married.

Price Cream Parlor said...

Your moving truck with trailer pulling your car made me think of our move from Utah (after BYU) to Chicago... we made that trip with an 18 month old. Ah, those were the days when we could fit everything in a uhaul! ha!

Can't wait to hear about how you have settled in and such...